Microsoft today released Windows 10 Build 15002 to Insiders in the Fast Ring for PCs — this build was actually leaked over the weekend. This is the first build of this year, and it brings a range of new features to Windows Insiders.
Build 15002 includes a lot of new features, and that’s not anything surprising to see as the last build of Windows 10 was released more than a month ago.
Here’s a quick run-down of some of the biggest new features in the build:
- Microsoft Edge now shows tab previews of all sites, and it also has a new Set Tabs Aside feature. The browser also now includes jumplist tasks, allowing users to open a new window or an incognito mode window easily
- The Start Menu now supports app folders just like Windows 10 Mobile
- Includes the new Share UI by default
- Cortana can now show you a list of app-specific commands when you are searching for an app
- A new screenshot shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+S) lets you capture a region of your desktop and paste it into any app you like from the clipboard
- Improvements to window resize, desktop icon placement and scaling
- You can now connect to a VPN right from the network flyout
- Improved sign-in dialogs
- A new OOBE powered by Cortana
- Blue Light Reduction
- Improved Settings app, including an improved Devices page
- You can now set Surface Dial settings per-app, meaning that your different apps can have different settings on the Dial now
- Windows Themes integration in the Settings app
- BSOD is now GSOD for Insiders
- Windows Ink enhancements, including an updated Windows Ink pen, pencil and highlighter control to now visually indicate what color has been selected, as well as a new point erase feature
- Improvements to accessibility, including some changes on Narrator and UWP apps in the high contrast mode
- Windows Defender’s new Windows 10 app now lets you run quick, advanced or full scans, and there are some other minor improvements too
- Improvements to Windows Update: you can now pause updates by up to 35 days, and you can also now prevent Windows Update from downloading driver updates
As you can see, this build is really quite huge. There are some minor improvements, but it mostly focuses on major new features and that’s not surprising at all. As I reported last week, Microsoft is planning to get the Windows 10 Creators Update “feature locked” by the end of this month, so almost all of the features that are coming with the Creators Update should be available to Insiders by late January or early February.
If you are looking for everything that’s new in build 15002, I suggest reading the full changelog here which is much more detailed. As per usual, if you are an Insider in the Fast Ring, you can get the latest build on your PC from the Settings app. Source: mspoweruser